Wednesday, May 11, 2011

hairy legs

Sometimes I forget how diverse Colorado is. Have you ever been to Denver? You'd be surprised how many times I've been asked if I moved to Colorado "for the mountains." Before I moved here I thought of Colorado as a place to ski, because we had lots of friends in Texas who headed to Breckenridge every winter. When I stepped off the plane into Denver back in December 2006 to check out the salon, I was surprised to see that the mountains were way off in the distance and the dry brown ground looked a lot like Nebraska or Kansas. I now know that the airport is in the middle of nowhere (might as well be Nebraska or Kansas), and have come to really love the urban feel Denver has.

Since I work in suburbia, but live downtown, I interact with a lot of different types of people. In attempts to taper I have been going to Corepower Yoga to sweat out some toxins and get in some stretching. Yesterday I woke up extra early and headed up the street to the downtown location. This was my first time at this particular studio and as I rushed into class at the last minute (darn downtown parking!), I looked around the room for a few feet where I could put my mat and join in on the "ohms." Somewhere between a thousand downward dogs we were in warrior 2 and I caught the first full preview of the girl next to me. Is that?.. What the?.. Really?.. What makes it okay to color your hair, gage your ears, get tattoos, but you can't freakin shave your legs or armpits? We're not talking a few days overdue, we're talking never. At least wear pants and a shirt that isn't sleeveless. Gross. Thanks for the reminder that Colorado is for hippies.

And while I'm complaining... I had 9 haircuts today. In. A. Row. I got to work at noon and didn't have time to eat or even sit down until 7pm while my last clients highlights processed. My legs sure didn't get a break today so I glad that tomorrow involves a lot more colors that include processing times. I can't believe that the race is so close and am going a little crazy inside. People keep asking me if I am excited which for some reason just makes me cry. I apologize for anyone that has to deal with me between now and Sunday.

3 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

Good luck this weekend girl! Great comment on my giveaway! I miss living in Colorado sometimes. :) oregon is way more hippity dippity than Colorado! Well, comparable. ;) I shave though! :) At least if I'm going to show my legs. :)

ShutUpandRun said...

Dang, I wish I lived closer to Littleton and I would SO come to you for my cuts!!

No, I won't be at Colfax, but good luck, please let me know how it goes.

ash & diz said...

eww. that's nasty. I'll be honest and say that I don't shave my legs daily, usually 2-3 times a week. BUT i ALWAYS shave the armpits. THAT's just gross.

good luck at your race! :)